Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thankful

Today has definitely been a homesick day, but this is one day I believe I can be totally justified in saying that. I woke up this morning, realized it was Thanksgiving, and had a little twinge of sadness. I love waking up Thanksgiving morning. I love knowing that food is probably already being prepared, that I don't have school, and that I'll be seeing a bunch of family later. This morning I just woke up, got ready for class, and it's been a normal day so far.

But despite all of that, I'm very thankful. And here are the things I'm most thankful for in my life:

  • First and foremost, I'm thankful for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was lucky enough to be born into it. Even greater than that is that I've come to a knowledge on my own that it is true. I have no idea where I would be without the gospel, and I frankly do not care to know. It brings me the greatest happiness and I'm beyond grateful for it. 
  • I'm thankful for my amazing family. Anyone that knows me knows that I come from a very unique family situation. We're huge, we're different, we're growing, and we love each other. I love getting together with everyone and laughing and joking. I'm just going to throw it out there: I have the greatest family in the world. This includes my future family as well! I love Kameron's parents and siblings so much. From the beginning they've been friendly, welcoming, and kind to me. I look forward to being a part of their family. 
  • I'm thankful for Kameron. Duh. I don't even need to explain this one, do I? The guy is, forgive the cliche, the greatest thing that's ever happened to me. Every day I think, "What in the world did I do in order to deserve a guy like that?" He's everything I've ever wanted in future husband and more. I think I'll keep him. 
  • I'm thankful for this opportunity to be in Austria. I'm pretty sure I've felt every emotion while being here. It's been the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and I would NEVER exchange it for anything. I've learned so much about myself, about a different culture, about my relationship with God, everything. I come home in 3 1/2 weeks, and that is nuts. I'll never regret this decision, I know that for sure. (And of course, being thankful for Austria also includes being thankful for the chocolate here.)
  • I'm thankful for my wonderful friends. I have the greatest friends in the world. Whether I've known them for 2 years or since I was 2 years old, all of them are amazing. They cheer me up, they make me laugh until I can't breath, they let me cry, and they've got my back. If I could have all of them come live with me forever, I probably would. I'll have to talk to Kameron about that. 
  • I'm thankful for technology. I'm grateful that I'm able to communicate with people back home while I'm here by simply getting on the internet and clicking a button. It's been so nice. 
  • I'm thankful for hot chocolate. Because it's delicious. And it's warm. 
  • I'm thankful for a healthy body. I'm grateful that I can play sports and walk around and hike and do all sorts of great things with this body of mine. I see people that are sick or suffering all the time and I can't imagine what that would be like. 
  • I'm thankful for Elder and Sister Glover. They're the senior missionary couple here in Innsbruck and they have saved my life here. They are the most kind, caring people I know and they're are so willing to drop what they're doing and make sure things are going well for me here. They're funny, they're easy to talk to, and I'm going to miss them incredibly when I leave. I'm going to miss the whole branch here, for that matter! They've all been so great and welcoming. I love them!
So, these are just a few things I'm thankful for.  The list goes on and on and has only gotten longer since coming to Austria. I can't wait to get home and enjoy the things I've taken for granted.

Like ranch dressing.

:)

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful I'm your Facebook friend, Katie. And even more thankful we are sorta related because I'm Randi's dad and Chris's father-in-law. You are a terrific kid, and I've been enjoying your reports from Austria. You will look back on your time there as one of the great adventures of your life...telling your children and grandchildren great stories. Stories that will get greater and better the older you get :-).

    Love from you Uncle-in-Law,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete